Kids Cats & Knitted Hats

This is my little spot to share the things I'm learning to do with my knitting looms.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Just a quick update . . .

It's been a while since I posted -- two whole months!!

I started working at the hotel with my hubby (who happens to be a great boss!). I'm his bookkeeper, in charge of accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and a host of other hotel related things. It started out as a 3-day a week part time job, but it quickly turned into four and a half days. I'm still leading our church's knitting group, and we meet on Thursday mornings for two hours and I go into work after we finish.

Speaking of the knitting group, what a blessing that has been! Our church was finally able to deliver meals to the homeless yesterday evening, so we took some bags of hats and scarves our knitting group had made. I was so worried that no one would want them, but was I ever surprised! I quickly found out that much of our knitting has been focused toward women and children, but we have quite a few men on our route too. So it's back to the stores to stock up on black, gray, dark blue, brown and dark green yarns for men's items.

One of our ladies had made a fluffy pink set, and I got to give it to a precious little girl who just loved it! She looked like a little princess. God has so richly blessed me in so many ways with this ministry.

We started out early last spring just making hats and scarves to distribute to the homeless when we delivered meals to them. But God had other plans, and our little ministry has quickly grown.

We started making tiny hats for premies at the local hospital. Then we were asked to make soft hats for patients who had brain surgeries. Next came a request for ultra soft hats for cancer patients. Our church schedules visits to a local nursing home, so we're trying to make prayer shawls as well, and the ladies in the group are also making prayer cloths to send to the prayer cloth ministry group to which I belong.

My knitting group means the WORLD to me! It is made up of six or seven ladies who come out faithfully every week, rain or shine, and I do mean that literally. Last week we were hit by some of the heaviest rains we've seen in this area in quite a while, and those ladies showed up at the church, ready to knit. As I said, God has truly blessed me with this ministry. I love the ladies who share this vision with me, and I was so touched last night seeing the looks on the faces of the people who received the gifts. One lady hugged me, and so many gave us such sincere thanks when they found out they had been made with prayer by a bunch of church ladies. All the thanks belongs to God; we're just trying to be obedient to His calling.

I wish it had been light enough to take some photos, especially of the little girl in the fluffy pink set. But you'll just have to use your imagination this time.

Here's the really funny thing. Every week at the beginning of the worship service our pastor makes announcements of upcoming events for the week, and every week he announces that the "Knifty Knitters" group will meet Thursday morning at 10:00. I think most of the men had it in their minds that we were just a group of chatty, gossipy, giggly knitters, and we had even been fussed at for having so many containers of yarn stored at the church. Then last night four of our men got to see what we had really been doing, and I think they were impressed. It made my heart smile!

Thanks for reading my ramblings. I hope to have some pictures up soon. I wish everyone a wonderful, blessed Thanksgiving!! Don't we truly have so much to be thankful for?

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning." James 1:17

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home