Kids Cats & Knitted Hats

This is my little spot to share the things I'm learning to do with my knitting looms.

Friday, July 14, 2006

Dishcloths & Prayer Cloths

I've made some more dishcloths on my dishcloth rake -- I now have a stack of dishcloths on my kitchen counter! Gotta find homes for these babies.

GRAPES cloth -- knitting pattern from www.rainyk.com/dishcloths. I made it on the loom by changing all Ks to Ps and Ps to Ks on odd rows. (I used the e-wrap for knits).

WATERING CAN Cloth - needle knitting pattern from Melissa's Knit Dishcloth Patterns Page. I made it on the loom by changing all Ks to Ps and Ps to Ks on EVEN rows. I used the "new" way of doing the flat stitch (Isela has a video here), and I didn't like it as much as the ewrap. The cloth is a little smaller that I like, and the stitch is too tight. I like my dishcloths "floppy." LOL

So I made another Watering Can cloth -- same pattern, but I used the part of the instructions that gave it a heart on the can. I used the ewrap and like the way it came out:

I put the flat stitch cloth on top of the ewrap cloth to show the difference in size:
Good news -- Isela has Melissa's permission to chart all of her free patterns and post them on the Looming Dishcloths group. The Swan cloth is already there; others will come as Isela gets to them.

I joined the Prayer Cloth Ministry group yesterday (a Yahoo group) and I've been looming pocket sized prayer cloths. I just love this idea -- giving a person something to hold in his or her hands that reminds him that someone has been praying for him. As I'm making the cloths and praying for the recipient, I am reminded that God already knows the person who will be receiving it. He knows them by name, and He knows what they need. Amazing, isn't it?

Anyway, here are some pictures of the cloths I've made since last night. I used patterns from the group files and loomed them on my dishcloth rake.

A Christian fish - I used ewrap for Ks:

Cross (used ewrap for Ks). It's black so it can be sent to troops. They wear these cloths under their helmets or in their pockets as a reminder that God is with them and they are being prayed for.

Pink awareness cloth - can you see the ribbon? I used the ewrap again for Ks.
Another cross in blue -- this time I used the flat stitch and really like the way it came out. I did make one boo-boo. Since the purl and flat stitches are made in a similar way, I sometimes lose track of what I'm doing, so there's a purl stitch that doesn't belong.

And one more cross cloth done with flat stitch.
I've printed out Dux's directions (posted on the LoomLovers group) for making a loom, and I'm going to ask hubby and son to give it a try. I would love to make some small looms for the ladies in our knitting group so they can make dish cloths, prayer cloths and scarves. Crossing my fingers!

Well, I'm heading upstairs to put the finishing touches on dinner. I'm making a big pot of "Mystery Soup." I was inspired by a post on Crystal's blog and have been freezing leftovers to make it. I've had it simmering on the stove most of the afternoon, and it smells delicious! I just have to call hubby and ask him to pick up some crusty bread and some salad. YUM!


Thanks for reading!

1 Comments:

  • At 1:03 AM, Blogger KansasA said…

    Wow Lisa I love the dishcloth with the watering can and the heart on it! Great job! All your dishclothes are wonderful and it's great to see everyone making different ones instead of just the basic one that came in the KK booklet.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home