Kids Cats & Knitted Hats

This is my little spot to share the things I'm learning to do with my knitting looms.

Friday, June 09, 2006

Charted Colorwork Hat

I've been playing with my Wonderloom again. I absolutely LOVE this loom. I think it's probably my favorite now (at least when I'm not playing with one of the others!).

I made this hat using a charted pattern from my 1000 Great Knitting Motifs book that I purchased on Amazon. It was pretty easy, but I did have to really concentrate while I was doing it. It's a 14-stitch pattern, and I found it easier to mark every 14th peg on the loom to remind me when I came to the end of a pattern repeat. I think I made too many rows of ribbing; next time I'll stop at about an inch or so.

This is just a simple little hat for a baby with a diagonal stripe pattern. I had done this before on some larger hats and wanted to do another in pink.

Our church knitting group is having a blast! We meet every Thursday morning at 10:00 AM and knit / chat for about two hours. What a neat group of ladies we have! One of my knitting buddies brought me a huge bag to tote all of my stuff, and then she brought me a Swiffer Max. I'm going to adapt the Swiffer cover pattern to fit it and make some for both of us. Shhhh . . . don't tell her!

Back to the knitting group. Here are some of the things we've accomplished so far:

A bunch of baby hats for the NICU at our local hospital. We delivered a bag of about 38 hats last week. I tried to make some booties, but I just haven't gotten the hang of it yet. If they need booties, I'll BUY them! LOL

Look at this sweet little hat! One of our knitters made it and said she messed up on the top so she added the pompom. I wish you could see how teeny it is. It's just the cutest little thing ever. Some mommy is going to be thrilled!

Here's a bunch of hats that will be delivered with meals to the homeless in the fall when the weather starts to get cooler. Our goal is to have 100 hats & scarves ready for delivery in October. So far we have 23 hats and just a handful of scarves, so we've got some work to do. I went today and bought a bunch of Red Heart Super Saver yarn on sale at AC Moore, so I'll start on the scarves next week.

Can you believe I'm still working on the boys' afghans? Here's Josh's on the 48" Infinity board. I'm on the sixth stripe, and boy is he rushing me to finish it! It's going to be so warm and much softer than I thought. I've only finished two complete stripes on Kyle's and just added the yarn for the third stripe last night. I'm doing his on the 80" Infinity Rake in garter stitch. I LOVE the way it's coming out. I'm already planning my next project on this loom -- I want to do something with several different stitch patterns. It's going around in my mind; I'll have to get it on some chart paper and start playing!

I've been flying with FlyLady for two weeks. I'm getting my house whipped into shape a little at a time. You can read about that over at my other blog. For now, I have to go do my "evening routine" and settle in with the guys for a movie. Thanks for reading!

3 Comments:

  • At 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That hat is lovely!! I love colourwork, it adds such pizzazz to things!
    Can I borrow your picture to put it over on the Yahoo group to inspire others? I am glad you are enjoying your WonderLoom

     
  • At 10:32 AM, Blogger sarainitaly said…

    your hats are fabulous! I think I need that book, AND that wonderloom!

     
  • At 10:45 AM, Blogger sarainitaly said…

    Which book do you think is better - stitch bible or 1000 great knitting motifs?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home