Kids Cats & Knitted Hats

This is my little spot to share the things I'm learning to do with my knitting looms.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Some Finished & Some Started

Remember a few posts back I found Bernat Frenzy yarn at our Dollar Tree for $1 a skein. I made this set to donate in the fall to our homeless ministry - a hat and scarflet that used 3 skeins of Frenzy. I think from now on I'll use it for brims and trim to make it go farther. The lighting for the picture isn't good and doesn't show the color very well.

Here's another charted hat I did.

I think I'll like this pattern a little better in fine gauge. I ordered the 12" fine gauge AJAL and the new small gauge Wonderloom today from Decor Accents. Time to stalk the postman again!

I'm working on a prayer shawl for my best friend's mom on my Prayer Shawl loom from Decor Accents (I'm not affiliated with DA, by the way. I'm just highly addicted to their looms!). Everyone calls my friend's mom "Nan" because her grandkids call her Nana (and we call her dad "Pop"). They are truly family to us. If we're not out of town for the holidays, we're always in the middle of their family celebrations. They're such special folks. Nan has just been diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma and isn't feeling well, so I'm making this prayer shawl for her. When you read this, please say a prayer for her and for my best friend who is going through chemo as a follow up to her recent colon cancer surgery. Sounds like they're going through a rough time, and they are, but you'd be blown away by their faith.

Here's another view of the prayer shawl -- this is where I am after less than one skein of Homespun. You can see the pieces of yarn I used to mark the pegs. I went around the loom wrapping three pegs and leaving three pegs blank. I'm using all 63 pegs -- odd rows are wrapped K3P3; even rows are wrapped P3K3.

I bought the yarn for blankets for both of my sons. I wanted to do them in Homespun, but I couldn't find the colors they wanted. I'm using Caron yarn since they had the perfect colors.

My younger son is a die-hard Detroit Pistons fan, so his blanket is going to be royal blue and red. I've started his on the 80" small gauge infinity rake. I'm using the garter stitch -- knit one row, purl one row. I like this stitch pattern because you can basically finish two rows at once by wrapping the entire loom and then knitting off a peg and purling it in the same step (see the video here).

My older son is a North Carolina Tarheels fan, so his blanket will be blue and white. I haven't been able to find a "Carolina blue" yarn, so I went for the closest light blue I could find and will also use Navy blue. His blanket will be done on the 48" infinity board. He's a little insulted that his brother's was started before his, so he (good naturedly) says I owe him a loomed visor beanie to make up for it. If anyone has come up with a good visor beanie pattern, please point me in the right direction for it.

This weekend is the State Championships for my son's basketball team. My mom, dad, sister and my niece's 28-month old son will be joining us for the tournament -- I'm so excited to see them! We live about 6 hours away from them and don't get together nearly as often as we'd like. Of course I'll take some of my projects to work on, but I might not accomplish much.

Thanks for reading!

1 Comments:

  • At 11:34 PM, Blogger angie stitchings n things said…

    Help!!! What stitch will you use on the second s-loom on this page the one that will be blue n white? and how many panels will you have to loom?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home