Kids Cats & Knitted Hats

This is my little spot to share the things I'm learning to do with my knitting looms.

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Let's Make a Scrunchie!

Scrunchies are so easy to make! They are basically just a hat brim with a pony tail holder inside. When I first started making them, I was trying to place the pony tail holder on the pegs -- mission impossible. Then I had a lightbulb moment (actually a slap the forhead, DUH moment) and figured out there was an easier way. Here's how I make my scrunchies:

Materials:
* Blue Knifty Knitter loom
* pick tool - so far, the one I bought from In the Attic is my favorite - I have pencil grips on mine to make it more comfy in my hand
* yarn - for this one I used Moda Dea Espree yarn in Majesty -- Fun Fur is also great
* elastic pony tail holder

Cast on by ewrapping all pegs around the loom. Ewrap all pegs again - now you have two loops on each peg. Knit the bottom loop over the top loop - this is your first row. Continue wrapping and knitting off for 10 rows.

Place the pony tail holder in front of the first few pegs. Don't put it on the pegs; just rest it there.

Find the first loops you made; bring up these first loops and place them on the pegs, just like you're making the brim of a hat. As you place each loop on its peg, make sure the pony tail holder is between the peg and the loop. Take a look at the pictures -- you can see that the pony tail holder is inside the brim but not on the pegs.

After a few pegs, you can bring up the remaining loops through the pony tail holder. I use my pick tool to place the loops on the pegs.

When all loops are placed on the pegs, do a double check to make sure you have two loops on each peg and they are lined up correctly.


Knit the bottom loop over the top loop. Remove with the flat removal method with one or two crochet chains.

Ta-da! In less than 30 minutes you have a cute scrunchie!

5 Comments:

  • At 6:05 PM, Blogger PCB Chick in Florida said…

    I LOVE HOW YOU SHOWED TO MAKE A SCRUNCHIE..I AM GOING HOME TO MAKE ONE :)

     
  • At 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I would also suggest using the super stretchy bind off found at the botto m of the page. I find it's more stretchy than the flat bind off.

     
  • At 10:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love picture tutorials... Makes waaaaaay more sense to me -- I made a few a while back thank you for posting :)

     
  • At 11:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks!! I have 4 granddaughters and they all love scrunchies!! It's such a simple solution!!

     
  • At 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Not quite understanding the placement of the ponytail holder. Do you first do an e-wrap with the working yarn around all the pegs and then bring up the first stitches, putting them on the pegs? Could you please explain this for me?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home