Kids Cats & Knitted Hats

This is my little spot to share the things I'm learning to do with my knitting looms.

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Two More Samplers & a Kitty Mystery

I'm having so much fun playing with new stitches on the looms, and since I'll be receiving my new Infinity Board and AJAL from Decor Accents soon, I've been playing around with board stitches as well. Here's what I've come up with.

These were done on the blue Knifty Knitter as a flat panel. If you click on the photos you can see the detail.


Gray - Graciela's Skip & Purl Stitch
Cream - Graciela's Skipped Stitch
Black - Graciela's Tile Stitch -- I'm so bummed you can't see it because of the black. Check out Graciela's blog - you can really see it there. It's so pretty!

I learned the next stitches from the Stitch Pattern books available at Loom Knitting. I bought them after Sara raved about them, and she was right -- they're really helpful.

White - Elongated Stitch (I think this might be the same thing as the Dropped Stitch I've seen described other places). I've seen it used to weave a ribbon into a project, and even by itself it's really pretty.
Blue - Knit Goosebump Stitch
Light Blue - Popcorn Stitch

Blue - Popcorn Stitch again
Pink - Mock Popcorn (from the Stitch Patterns book)
Gray - Mock Crochet Stitch
Cream - Alternate Flat & Ewrap Stitch - I can't remember which group this one came from. I'll add it here as soon as I find it so I can give its "Mom" credit!

Okay, those were fun, but what really excited me was finding new stitches to use on the knitting boards. This is the whole thing:


Starting at the left:
Multicolor - Basic Stockinette
Blue - Figure 8 as described in the KK pamphlet

White - Fashion Stitch, described in the KK pamphlet
Blue - Ribbing
Tan - Open Ribbing

White - Zig Zag Stitch (Not the one in the KK pamphlet that is also known as the Fashion Stitch - this one is very different, and I LOVE it! )
Gray - Stockinette E-Wrap - from the Files section of the Yahoo Board Knitters Group
Cream - Purl Stitch - I was so excited to finally learn how to purl on a knitting board! This one is also found in the Files Section of the Yahoo Board Knitters Group.

Dark Blue - Garter Stitch (alternating Knit and Purl Rows)
White - Seed Stitch (alternating K1P1 and P1K1 rows)
Blue/White - Zig Zag Stitch again - I liked this one so much that I wanted to repeat it in "color" in case the white didn't show up well in the photo.

I wish I had a more creative mind and could look at something I like and make it for myself (without needing a pattern). I'd love to make this Chunky Cable Purse. If anyone knows of a pattern for the looms, please let me know!

Now for the Kitty Mystery.

Exhibit A: The Victim.

Poor little Bud. Saturday morning my hubby and I were having our coffee before he headed in to work, and we heard a pitiful cry outside on the deck. I looked out and there was Sweet, Innocent Little Bud - our full-time INDOOR cat, outside! The night before we had fallen asleep on the couch watching a movie and were awakened by a loud noise. We checked around and found nothing, so we went on up to bed. It had been a beautiful day in VA so the windows were up; turns out the screen was broken, probably by Bud on his way out.

Question is, how did my poor little innocent baby get out?

He either:
(1) Pushed the screen out and escaped, or
(2) (more likely) Fell asleep in the windowsill, leaning against the screen which couldn't hold his weight, so he fell out (which would explain the crashing sound - OUCH!), or
(3) (even more likely) He was PUSHED.

Who would do such a thing? Exhibit B: The Suspect.

This is Whiskers, and as you can see, she loves to sit in the windowsill. Maybe Bud was in her spot that evening. Maybe she had just finally had enough of his wide-eyed, look-at-me-I'm-so-cute, everybody-loves-Bud routine. Maybe her hormones were raging. Who knows? All we know is that Bud ended up outside, and ever since we found him out there and brought him back in, Whiskers won't have a thing to do with him. She hisses, growls, chases him, screams, and generally acts like she's lost her mind. Maybe he smells funny from being outside, or maybe she just finally found her chance to try to get him out of the house.

Exhibit C: The Witness.

There was only one witness to the events of Saturday night. This is Begonia, and she ain't talkin'. I don't think she's to be trusted, though. Sometimes she acts like she's on Bud's side, running to him and offering comfort after Whiskers terrorizes him. At other times she's right beside Whiskers, watching her hiss and growl. She looks innocent, but I'm not so sure her intentions are pure.

I feel like I'm becoming a Kitty Psychiatrist or something, trying to get them to get along again. Never a dull moment in a house with kitties!

Okay, yes, I do have two boys, and I promise to show them off a little. I just need to take a few pictures.

Thanks for reading. Knit on!

4 Comments:

  • At 4:02 AM, Blogger sarainitaly said…

    I'm glad you liked the stitch books. They had some great tips, and stitches. We are so crafty now! hehe

     
  • At 4:24 PM, Blogger linda: off the loom said…

    Lisa,
    Which books did you purchase? She has: #I-111. Additional Stitches and More Loom Knitting Basics, #I-120. Stitch Patterns I, #I-121. Stitch Patterns II, #I-122. Stitch Patterns III, and soon she'll have #I-200. Flat Loom Instructions.

    Linda P.
    Off the Loom

     
  • At 11:46 AM, Blogger Lisa said…

    Linda -- I purchased Stitch Patterns I, II and III. They're really good!

     
  • At 8:20 AM, Blogger linda: off the loom said…

    Thanks, Lisa. I'll have to get them. I like her freebie "Getting Started." It's very clear for the beginner, so I know I'd like the others since I'm trying to move on. I wish I had more time. It's difficult when you're working and involved in family and ministry life.

    Blessings,
    Linda
    Off the Loom

     

Post a Comment

<< Home