Kids Cats & Knitted Hats

This is my little spot to share the things I'm learning to do with my knitting looms.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Delivery Day!

Today was our church's day to deliver meals to homeless people in our area. I took in all the things I've knitted on my looms in the past month. In all there were 17 hats and 3 scarves.

Today was the first meeting of our knitting group, so we should be able to turn out lots more items in coming months.





Today was "part one" of our knitting group organizational meeting. I had one lady show up, but more are expected at Thursday evening's meeting. I'm trying to schedule it so more can participate, so we'll probably end up with an afternoon and an evening session each time.

Today I taught my knitting buddy how to cast on and do the e-wrap to knit a basic hat with a brim. I had prepared two looms ahead of time -- one with a hat ready for a brim, and one with a hat ready to be taken off the loom and gathered. We had so much fun, and I'm really looking forward to getting a whole group involved.

Some of the projects we're planning to do are:
* knitting items for the homeless in our area - hats, scarves, mittens and socks. There is such a HUGE need for this in our area.
* knitting lap afghans and other items for nursing home residents that we are going to start visiting.
* contacting the local hospital to see what their needs are - possibly baby hats, blankets, and chemo hats
* maybe even getting involved with the prayer shawl ministry

I finally finished the scarf using the mock crochet stitch. I goofed in one little place -- I lost track of which way I was going and put in an extra few stitches. I was going to rip it apart and start over, but I really needed to get it finished by today so it could be delivered to someone who needed it. I was really tempted to keep this hat and scarf for myself -- I just love the mock crochet stitch, especially for the hat.




I'm working on an afghan now using Lion Brand Homespun yarn. I'm using the garter stitch (alternating knit and purl rows) on the yellow KK loom, using all pegs. I love the way it's coming out. I haven't gotten far enough to take a photo yet, but I'll post it soon.

Back to knitting!

3 Comments:

  • At 9:21 AM, Blogger Lisa said…

    Thanks Carla -- I was so tempted to keep it, but I can make more! :)

     
  • At 11:04 AM, Blogger sarainitaly said…

    I love that hat and scarf! so cute. What stitch did you use for the hat band? knit, purl? And then you did the knit stitch again at the top? LOVE IT!

     
  • At 11:36 AM, Blogger Lisa said…

    Thanks for commenting! For the band I did the crochet cast on and then two rows of K1 P1. After doing about 7" in the mock crochet stitch I switched to regular knit (e-wrap) for five rows. So lightweight! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home